WQ 06 NCOP Scholar transport programme, 12 February 2016
NATIONAL COUNCIL OF PROVINCES
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER: 12/02/2016
INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER: 01/2016
Scholar transport programme
6. Mr F Essack (Mpumalanga: DA) to ask the Minister of Basic Education:
(1) Whether the Mpumalanga Provincial Department of Public Works, Roads and Transport’s scholar transport programme for learners from Nokuthula Primary School in Mkondo Municipality has been terminated; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, why;
(2) what plans are in place to ensure that learners return to school and catch up on all the work missed so far for the 2016 academic year? CW06E
- Information received from the Mpumalanga Department of Education indicates that the request for additional transport was not approved because the learners who reside at Ajax area are within the walking distance to Kempsiding Combined School and must attend school there. If they prefer to attend a school of their choice, then the Department is not obliged to provide transport. Nokhutula Primary School is a school of choice and the Principal, the School Governing Bodies (SGBs) and parents were informed in 2013 that the route from Ajax will be terminated and the learners must attend Kempsiding School. Learners from the Mooihoek area qualify for transport and are currently transported to the school.
- A meeting was held with the school and the District Director to address the catch up of work and to resolve the matter.
An error has occurred.
Error: Unable to load the Article Details page.