WQ 2190 NA Home Education Policy, 17 August 2018
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER: 17/08/2018
INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER: 23/2018
2190. Mrs C Dudley (ACDP) to ask the Minister of Basic Education:
(1) When will the (a) next meeting of the Council of Education Ministers (CEM) be held and (b) draft Policy on Home Education be discussed at the CEM;
(2) whether she will release the finalised draft policy to allow the public to study it; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details;
(3) whether the South African Schools Act, Act 84 of 1996, forms the basis for the draft Policy on Home Education; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details;
(4) how does the policy relate to her department’s proposed Basic Education Laws Amendment Bill? NW2358E
- (a) 13 September 2018.
(b) The Draft Policy on Home Education was discussed at CEM on 19 July 2018.
- The Draft Policy was approved by CEM for consultation with the public in September 2017. The public had up to December 2017 to make submissions, and some members of the public requested an extension which was granted up to 31 January 2018 to make the submissions. Procedurally, the public submissions are followed by the finalisation of the policy for approval for promulgation.
- The South African Schools Act (SASA), Act 84 of 1996 formed the basis for the Draft Policy on Home Education. Section 51 of SASA is the relevant section in this regard.
- The policy is in line with the provisions of the proposed Basic Education Laws Amendment Bill. Clause 25 of the BELA Bill provides a legislative framework for the policy.
An error has occurred.
Error: Unable to load the Article Details page.