The Basic Education sector's vaccination programme was announced by the Minister of Basic Education during her address on Saturday, 19 June 2021 and launched on Wednesday, 23 June 2021. The Department of Health (DOH) has started the drive to vaccinate over 500 000 employees in the Basic Education Sector as announced, starting with all employees on PERSAL. The current programme runs from 23 June 2021 to 08 July 2021.
The vaccination of every employee in the sector is an opportunity to normalize schooling. Vaccination is voluntary but highly recommended so that herd immunity in the sector can be attained.
Registration on EVDS
- If you are a PERSAL staff member (excluding those who received their PERSAL number in April or May), your details have already been captured onto the Electronic Vaccination Data System (EVDS).
- Lists for SGB appointees and independent school educators have been uploaded onto the EVDS.
- On-site data capturing will be required for individual’s cell numbers; and medical aid details.
- There will be NO ON-SITE registrations – that means persons whose details have not been bulk-uploaded in the EVDS, cannot be registered on-site, and therefore, cannot be vaccinated under this initiative. Should this happen to you, the on-site officials will help you on the steps to be followed for assistance.
Consultants and specially-employed people in the education departments who do not have a PERSAL record or did not have a PERSAL record in April or May, are currently not eligible for vaccinations in this initiative, even if they are paid by the department.
The following persons are also excluded from the basic sector vaccination initiative:
- Those who have contracted COVID-19 in the past 30 days;
- Those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 under the Sisonke programme; or
- Those who have been vaccinated for flu within the past 14 days.