Assessment in the National Senior Certificate comprises School-Based Assessment, Practical Assessment Tasks, Language Oral Assessment for official languages and external examinations.
A Practical Assessment Task is a compulsory component of the final promotion mark for all candidates registered for the following National Senior Certificate subjects:
- Agriculture: Agricultural Management Practices and Agricultural Technology;
- Arts: Dance Studies, Design, Dramatic Arts, Music and Visual Arts;
- Languages: Oral mark;
- Technology: Civil Technology, Electrical Technology, Mechanical Technology and Engineering Graphics and Design;
- Life Orientation;
- Computer Sciences: Computer Applications Technology and Information Technology; and
- Services: Consumer Studies, Hospitality Studies and Tourism.
The Practical Assessment Task mark must count 25% of the end-of-year examination mark.